<audio>, <phoneme>, and <voice> tags in Sw

How-to questions and answers

<audio>, <phoneme>, and <voice> tags in Sw

Postby Jeremy McCreary » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi,

Using Lawrence and SSML in SwiftTalker to work around a temporary loss of voice, but having trouble with <audio>, <phoneme>, and <voice> tags.

I can hand-code HTML, XML, and XSLT but am new to SSML. Have pored over all Cepstral online SSML help and have searched entire forum for answers before posting.

Intermittent playback with <audio>: In my case, SSML and WAV audio files =must= be stored on local machine (Toshiba netbook running Windows 7 Home Professional). If I put them all in same folder and run an SSML file with the tag,

<audio src="blurb.wav">Audio file didn't play.</audio>

the WAV file may or may not play -- usually the latter. Successes and failures occur without change in audio tag or file locations -- even in ostensibly error-free SSML files with no other apps running. Using known 8- and 16-bit PCMs as test WAV files. Machine issue?

<phoneme> tag: Where can I find a complete list of plain text pronunciation codes valid for Cepstral's implementation of the ph attribute? I'm referring to the codes in 't ah0 m ey1 t ow0' in the tag

<phoneme ph='t ah0 m ey1 t ow0'>tomato</phoneme>

Have searched the web high and low.

Special effects with <voice>: Lawrence reads the text correctly, but I never hear the special effect. Suspect an addressing issue with the SFX files. Given that all files must be on my local machine, where should I store the SFX files and exactly how should I adress them? A concrete working example would be most helpful.

Any leads greatly appreciated.

Jeremy
Jeremy McCreary, Colorado School of Mines
Jeremy McCreary

Oops, please disregard <phoneme> tag question

Postby Jeremy McCreary » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Well, this embarrassing: Apparently didn't scroll down far enough to realize that the desired phoneme codes are listed at the bottom of the "Editing the lexicon" page at http://www.cepstral.com/cgi-bin/support?page=lexicon.

Could still use some help with the other 2 questions in my original post, though.

Thanks in advance.
Jeremy McCreary, Colorado School of Mines
Jeremy McCreary

Return to How do I... ?