How do I use Cepstral Voice with MS Narrator?

How-to questions and answers

How do I use Cepstral Voice with MS Narrator?

Postby DragonflyKing » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:50 am

I've just installed Cepstral William and have used it successfully with BabasChess and used SwiftTalker to create audio files...so the install works fine.

When I activate MS Narrator the only voice available to me is MS SAM even though I have MS Mike, MS Mary and Cepstral William. William is my active voice.

How do I get Narrator to recognise Cepstral voices?
DragonflyKing

Postby AdamW » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:13 am

It looks like that cannot be done, but it appears to be a restriction on the MS Narrator side. Cepstral voices are only SAPI 5.1 compliant, by the way.

From the wikipedia article:

"The Windows 2000 version of Narrator uses SAPI 4 and allows the use of other SAPI 4 voices. The Windows XP version uses the newer SAPI 5, however, it only allows the use of the default voice, Microsoft Sam, even if other voices have been installed. In Windows Vista, Narrator has been updated to use SAPI 5.3 and the Microsoft Anna voice, or the Microsoft Lili voice for Chinese systems."

To read full article you can visit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Narrator
AdamW

Postby DragonflyKing » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Thanks Adel.

[quote]Cepstral voices are only SAPI 5.1 compliant, by the way.[/quote]
I don't know much about SAPI. How do I find out what version of SAPI my system is running? Will Cepstral stop working if I download a later version of SAPI?
DragonflyKing

Postby AdamW » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:38 am

I can't really be sure until I have tested every version, but I think any SAPI 5 should run fine with Cepstral voices under 32-bit Windows.
AdamW

Return to How do I... ?