Installation on Mac OS X 10.4.9 - solved

Voices won't install properly on your system?

Installation on Mac OS X 10.4.9 - solved

Postby coolfactor » Fri May 25, 2007 4:19 pm

I downloaded and installed the Diane voice. I found it unusual that a restart was required. Before restarting, however, I also downloaded and attempted to install the David voice. It gave me an error.

I then chose to restart. Upon clicking Restart, I got a kernel panic.

I restarted the computer and some of my user defaults were reset. For example, it reset my preferred browser. File associations were also lost.

Have others reported a similar incident?
Why was a restart required to install the voice software? Wouldn't a user logout be sufficient?

Before this happened, I took it on faith that this was going to be a good experience, so I purchased the David voice. However, even after restarting, I'm still unable to install the David voice. It just says an error occurred, but doesn't say exactly what the error is.

So, now I have the Diane voice installed, and a license for the David voice, but I can't get that voice installed.

Looking for some support. Thanks.
Last edited by coolfactor on Sat May 26, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coolfactor

Postby coolfactor » Fri May 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Now I'm attempting to use the "Show Files" command from the Installer when installing the Cepstral David voice, but it keeps crashing. Could this be a problem with the Cepstral David installer package? Should I download another copy?
coolfactor

Postby coolfactor » Fri May 25, 2007 4:33 pm

While investigating this problem, I noticed that files were installed into:

/Library/Frameworks/
/Library/Speech
/System/Library/Speech

Would it be possible to keep this stuff in the User's Library folder, rather than installing at the system level? At least give users a choice.

The installation of a framework would explain why a restart was required.

I've also attempted to install just the David voice by showing the package content, finding that installer package and installing, but it still gives me an error.
coolfactor

SOLVED

Postby coolfactor » Fri May 25, 2007 5:09 pm

I downloaded a fresh copy of the David voice and installation completed successfully. When my computer kernel-paniced after installing Diane, that may have corrupted the original copy of David that I had.

All sorted out, but I would appreciate a response about whether it would be possible install the software within the User's Library folder.
coolfactor

Follow-up

Postby coolfactor » Sat May 26, 2007 2:34 pm

Just a follow-up.

I've had the David voice installed for 24 hours now, and it's been wonderful. It's a great voice indeed.

Aside from a slightly bumpy ride during installation, which very well may have been caused by other software I have installed, I've been very happy with the Cepstral product, and have already recommended it to another Mac user.
coolfactor

Postby colleenex » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am

After installing windows OS on mac do you have to use both of the disks given? theres the mac OS install dvd and the applications install dvd, do both need to be used after windows has been installed? or only the mac OS install dvd?

Return to Installation