Piping GUI selected text to swift

How-to questions and answers

Piping GUI selected text to swift

Postby skidmark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Has anyone been successful piping GUI selected text to swift ?

I got Diane talking on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS 64Bit Desktop With:

$ /usr/bin/padsp /var/opt/swift/bin/swift -n Diane "Apr. 18, 2017 - 5:47 PM - Attorney General Jeff Sessions addresses the danger posed the Central American MS-13 gang to Americans, its history in the US and the plan to beat them, saying 'We're going after them!"

Need to pipe text selected in GUI (News article in Firefox web browser page) with xsel to swift. Any ideas?

This works for espeak. The xsel script is saved in a text file with permissions set for execute. Shortcut set for Ctrl-Mod4-R

#!/bin/bash
xsel | espeak

Unsuccessfully tried this with swift:

#!/bin/bash
xsel | /usr/bin/padsp /var/opt/swift/bin/swift -n Diane

Also

#!/bin/bash
xsel | /usr/bin/padsp /var/opt/swift/bin/swift

Has anyone been successful piping GUI selected text to swift ?
skidmark

Re: Piping GUI selected text to swift

Postby skidmark » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:12 pm

I submitted a support ticket on this issue. I got the following response back from Cepstral support

04/20/2017 1:47 pm
We're currently investigating an issue with piping data to swift from stdin your xsel issue is probably related. Don't have a timeframe for when this will be resolved.

--The Cepstral Support Team

Anyone out there been able to pipe GUI selected text to SWIFT ?
skidmark

Re: Piping GUI selected text to swift

Postby skidmark » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 am

Is SWIFT open source software maintained by a third party or was swift created by Cepstral for exclusive use with Cepstral voices only?

Is there another CLI voice program besides swift that works with Cepstral voices ? If there was an alternative CLI program that supported piping, the alternative could be used until SWIFT is recoded to support piping from GUI text capture applications, such as Xsel.
skidmark

Return to How do I... ?