How do I install old_robot effect?

How-to questions and answers

How do I install old_robot effect?

Postby jrebelo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi! I bought "Lawrence" voice and I'm going to use it in a project but i'd like to add it the old_robot effect that we can try on Cepstral website.

If it isn't possible. Is there something I can do to turn the voice sound like a robot?

I'm using Windows 7.

Thanks
jrebelo

Postby sanchita » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:58 am

Hi,

There are several ways to use the SFX system built into Swift. The SwiftTalker application lets you select which SFX file to use, and even save the configuration as a voice alias. (Please note that voice configuration changes and aliases created in the SwiftTalker application are only available to SwiftTalker; They are not available to other applications.)

You can also save the sfx file you want like old_robot.sfx located at /Program Files/Cepstral/sfx directory in a text file called 'default.sfx' and save that in the voice's data directory (see below). Then the voice will automatically use that SFX file when it speaks. (This is also how you would use special effects with SAPI 5 applications since they don't normally support it on their own)

The voice data directory (with David, for example) is typically at:

\Program Files\Cepstral\voices\David\default.sfx

Postby jrebelo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Thank you for the answer.

I've edited the name of the sfx file in the sfx files directory and then copied the file to "Lawrence" main directory.

Using Swift Talker, Lawrence is already speaking automatically with the new effect. But, using the Software there is no effect. Should I install the voice again in Windows?

Also, if you could help me, is it possible to edit Pitch and Rate in our voice as "default"?

Thanks again.
jrebelo

Postby sanchita » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:42 am

Hi,

Reinstall is not required for it but you can try rebooting your system and check if that makes it work. Make sure that you changed the old_robot.sfx to default.sfx and moved it to Program Files/Cepstral/voices/Lawrence.

You can use ssml tags for manipulating pitch and speech rate of the voice.
Here is the link to ssml tags for your convenience:

http://cepstral.com/cgi-bin/support?page=ssml

Return to How do I... ?