Utilizing Abbreviations with Voices

How-to questions and answers

Utilizing Abbreviations with Voices

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:21 am

To have a voice speak the letters of an abbreviation simply just capitalize each letter and add a period after each one and this will speak just each letter at a time. To have the voice speak every word from just an abbreviation, please select the following link to our F.A.Q. to learn more about utilizing the lexicon.txt file: http://cepstral.com/cgi-bin/support?pag ... ux#lexicon

The above link also includes a list of phoneme examples and how they should be used.

The lexicon file can be modified for custom pronunciation of certain words. In this case, just add the abbreviation and then input the correct phonemes and the voice should speak the entire abbreviation with no problem. Please remember to not include any periods or capital letters within the lexicon file as swift will produce no speech output for the lexicon entry when trying to utilize the abbreviation. I will provide an example on how-to make an entry for the abbreviation: ANF ( American National Freedom ) below.

ANF ( American National Freedom ) - Lexicon entry below.

anf 0 ah0 m eh1 r ih0 k ah0 n n ae0 sh ah0 n ah0 n ah0 l f r i1 d ow0 m

The numbers that are within the above example represent the stress of each vowel and should be included in all vowels for correct speech.

Since all of the lexicon entries have to be lower-case, I would just like to point out that when the entry for anf is made that swift can also read the abbreviation when the letters are capitalized, so typing ANF in swift will speak the lexicon entry as well.

So I hope this helps and thanks again for everyone who contributes to the support forums.

-Paul
Live, Laugh, Love..
Paul

Return to How do I... ?