Long pauses after punctuation in XP

Voices aren't working properly?

Long pauses after punctuation in XP

Postby CarlT » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:42 am

I'm using the Lawrence voice and unfortunately I often have the problem that the voice stops for several seconds on each . or :
I've let the program get access when my firewall asks and sometimes restarting Windows helps.

Is there any setting that I'm overlooking?

I really like this voice and use it to turn text into audio that I can listen to in the car.

Any help is appreciated.

CarlT
CarlT

Re: Long pauses after punctuation in XP

Postby AdamW » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:00 am

HI CarlT,

This is a known issue that we hope to resolve in the next version of our Cepstral product. Here's what is going on. When trying to contact the Cepstral licensing process, the connection sometimes fails. The synthesis engine then tries a few more times before giving up. That is why there is a wait time.

Because the licensing connection is occurring via a local host server/client connection, your Firewall could absolutely be in the way. We recommend opening port 1480. However, more likely than not the licensing server has entered an error state, and so when you restart your machine it gets a chance to start again from scratch.

Now, the licensing mechanism has been completely rewritten to resolve this issue. In the meantime, there are two suggested work arounds:

1. Manually kill the Cepstral license server:

Open Task Manager, Find CepstralLicSrv.exe, Right click on it --> End Process Tree

2. Write the TTS to a file, using SwiftTalker, then play back the file, although there are pauses during synthesis, hopefully they aren't written to a file.
a. Start Menu --> All Programs --> Cepstral --> SwiftTalker
b. Copy and paste the text you wish to synthesize.
c. File --> Export Audio File
d. Play your file using some other audio player.

Let me know if either of those work for you.

-- Adam
AdamW
Administrator

Return to Troubleshooting