All Cepstral voices crash after recent XP updates

Voices aren't working properly?

All Cepstral voices crash after recent XP updates

Postby DolphinSandwich » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 pm

I've been playing Cepstral voices on an XP machine for the last year or so
As of a week or so ago, whenever I play any Cepstral voice (and this only happens for Cepstral voices) it crashes with the windows crash handler

When I use any Cepstral voice in my own app, the same crash handler - my application does not throw an exception. It crashes at the exact moment it is about to play a Cepstral voice.

I tried reinstalling, no change.
Has anyone had this issue - .NET4 was installed on the system in question, is this going to cause Cepstral to not work?
DolphinSandwich

Postby sanchita » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:32 pm

From your post we suspect that the issue is with the configuration of your machine as XP updates should not cause Cepstral voices to fail.
It will be helpful if you can provide us some more information so that we can diagnose the exact cause of this problem:

1) Let us know more about the configuration of your machine.

2) How did you play the voices when they crashed?Did you use SAPI or accessed them through our engine?

3) Are the voices playing in SwiftTalker?

4) Can you preview them in Speech control panel?

5) Goto command line and type "swift hello".Did that crash too?

We will try to reproduce the problem you are facing after we receive your inputs.We will also conduct some tests by installing the latest XP updates in our test machines to make sure that it is not causing our voices to crash.

Postby DolphinSandwich » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:51 am

Hi,

I'm using SAPI when the voice crashes.
Using SwiftTalker, it crashes - although the voices continues for a little while (it plays 'William' which is the one I'm using when it crashes)

With the command line 'swift hello' - it works ie does not crash
In the Cepstral Voices Control Panel, it also works without crashing.

So, it seems like something with SAPI access.
The main thing updated on this machine was .NET4 framework, so I'll try removing it
DolphinSandwich

Postby DolphinSandwich » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:52 pm

DolphinSandwich wrote:updated on this machine was .NET4 framework, so I'll try removing it

I uninstalled .net4 framework, restarted, and no difference in behavior.
DolphinSandwich

Postby DolphinSandwich » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:35 pm

In order to solve this problem, we have since installed Win7 on the laptop that was causing problems with Cepstral voice.

We could not work out how to get Cepstral voices working on WindowsXP (with latest updates) without crashing as described.
DolphinSandwich

Return to Troubleshooting