German voice matthias doesn't seem to support umlauts?

Voices aren't working properly?

German voice matthias doesn't seem to support umlauts?

Postby LotPings » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:29 am

I just installed the demo on my german Win7 64bit Ultimate and I'm quite disappointed that Umlauts aren't supported.
Do I have overseen a configuration option or is this true? :(

Regards
LotPings

Postby AdamW » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 am

We have already identified and fixed this issue. Expect an update to the Windows 64-bit installer today or tomorrow on the website at www.cepstral.com/downloads.
AdamW

Postby macnutzer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Did you also fix the problem for OsX. There is still no ä,ö,ü?
macnutzer

Postby AdamW » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:39 pm

The fix is in Beta 3, which is currently on our website at www.cepstral.com/downloads
AdamW

Postby LotPings » Fri May 21, 2010 6:41 am

adel wrote:We have already identified and fixed this issue. Expect an update to the Windows 64-bit installer today or tomorrow on the website at www.cepstral.com/downloads.

Took me some time to test the update.
Again, I'm disappointed.
1. the Installer restarted my pc without any notification.
2. the updated voice Matthias got a gender reassignment to a female voice speaking Umlauts terribly fast with generally an English accent difficult to understand for people who don't speak English.

Since my first name is also Matthias I'm glad only the computer voice got that reassignment ;-)
I did my tests with Maxa notifier for skype, but i neither want to test it with a serious app nor spent money for it.

Bye, Matthias (happily still male)
LotPings

Postby sanchita » Fri May 21, 2010 2:53 pm

It looks like AutoReboot is on in your machine that might have caused the restart without warning.

As we have moved from 32 bits to 64 bits architecture we need to uninstall all 32 bits old installations before installing 64 bits installers as now onwards we support both 64 bits and 32 bits subdomains in any 64 bits Windows machine i.e our voices will be available on both 32 and 64 bits Text to speech in control panels and for both 32 bits and 64 bits applications.

During these uninstallations of 32 bits Cepstral voices in row sometimes(Its very rare) Windows restarts if AutoRestart is on.We could turn it off but we did not want to interfere with the operating system at the time when it uninstall packages. We might display a message about AutoReboot status in user's machine in near future to avoid confusion.

One of the following might be the reason why Matthias is fast in your machine:

1) In control panel text to speech the "voice speed" is set high.You can try to lower it down to normal.

2) You are playing it at a different sampling rate.sampling rate for Matthias is 16kHz

3) There is some corruption in registry entries which would require you to uninstall all the cepstral voices and reinstall them.

-------------------------
Cepstral Engineering
sanchita
Administrator

Postby johnogara » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:09 am

Hi, I'm using the Katrin voice version 5.1.0 on Linux and it does not handle umlaut symbols, will there be an update for this voice?
johnogara

Postby AdamW » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:43 am

Our voices handle the following text encodings: "utf-8", "utf-16", "iso8859-1", "iso8859-15", and "us-ascii". The umlauts are covered in 4 out of 5 of these. If there is a mismatch between the encoding of the input text and what the engine thinks the encoding is, you won't get the umlauts read properly.

Here is a test:

- generate a file with your favorite text encoding.
- run the "file" command on it to ascertain the encoding.
- run the swift command on it to read the text, specifying the encoding on the command line to be sure. For more info run swift without parameters to print the quick usage documentation. But for your convenience here is an example:

swift -e "utf-8" -f <file_encoded_in_utf-8>

- Now that the umlauts are read properly, you need to figure out and tell us how the text you're passing in is encoded. We'll go from there.
AdamW

Return to Troubleshooting