License Nagging in French?

Having trouble entering your license key(s)?

License Nagging in French?

Postby mudslide567 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Installed and licensed four languages: Callie, David, Marta & Millie
Installed but not yet licensed: Isabelle, Katrin, Vittoria

For reasons that are a mystery [to me], all TTS output comes with french license nag, even though I have licensed them.

The licenses said they installed OK. The clue that something is wrong is that when i check the version [cmd line: swift -v] it says the default voice is [french] Isabelle [i have no idea why], so I am thinking that since Isabelle is not licensed and she is the default, she sticks the nag in...then the text content has voice tags to switch it using a tag <voice name="David"> so i get the correct message in the correct voice...followed by the nag, again, by isabelle, in french.

so how do i fix this?
mudslide567

Postby AdamW » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:32 am

Interesting scenario.
What OS platform are you running on?
Can you provide a simple input to replicate this? (the exact input string with the embedded voice tag?)

My understanding:
- Isabelle is default and unlicensed
- TTS input does not call for Isabelle to speak, since a tag switches the voice to David immediately.
- The TTS output still has the french nag at the beginning.

Let me know if that interpretation is correct
AdamW

French Nagging

Postby mudslide567 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:01 am

UPDATE: to get into production, we did the $30 workaround - we purchased a license for Isabelle.

Your understanding of the setup is exactly correct. We are running a multi-lingual/multi voice large IVR where we actually are selecting voices dynamically based on a variety of dynamic conditions.

I am running on Centos 5.3 [Linux 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5].

A typical string:

<voice name="David-8kHz">I am sorry but the number you have entered does not match our records</voice>

This string was coming out exactly as expected but was [until above "workaround"] preceded by Isabelle's nag in french. To confirm, she was the unlicensed and the default.

From what I can see, the default seems to be based on the first language loaded, rather than the first language licensed. There was no obvious was to change the default that I could affect.

Thanks for looking into this.
mudslide567

Postby AdamW » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:14 am

We could mine this post for so many nice defects in specification and implementation, and we will. We will address the many issues appearing here in a subsequent release.

In the interim, (and honestly by looking through the source code) you can set the default voice on Unix using the environment variable SWIFT_DEFAULT_VOICE. (Please don't send Isabelle home...)

Not sure why this is not more prominent in the documentation.
AdamW

Return to Licensing