Installing to pi

Voices won't install properly on your system?

Installing to pi

Postby ucokzeko » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:09 am

Hi guys,

I am having problem when I try to install Cepstral to my Pi
It's running on raspbian as the operating system
The error message that I got was /opt/swift/bin/swift.bin: 1: /opt/swift/bin.swift.bin: Syntax error: ")" unexpected'
I have been trying to find solutions but it seems like no one has this problem
Any help is really appreciated

Thanks
ucokzeko

Re: Installing to pi

Postby crazycajun » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Has anyone ever gotten this to work or even install on a pi?

I am starting to believe that I have thrown away 30 bucks!
crazycajun

Postby 4marcus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:53 pm

I also tried to install it on Debian jessie Model 3 Raspberry Pi and failed.
But I got probably one step further: The error message the script is giving sounds like it is looking for bash, but jessie is defaulting to bin/dash.

I updated the scripts in the bin subdirectory of the installer and explicitly pointed to
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

Unfortunately, I am not stuck with this error message, which points to some issue with the actual binary compilation. I opened a support ticket...

Testing the installed swift binary...
/opt/swift/bin/swift -o /dev/null 'hello world'
/opt/swift/bin/swift: line 12: /opt/swift/bin/swift.bin: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
/opt/swift/bin/swift: line 12: /opt/swift/bin/swift.bin: Success

Installation failed.  Please contact Cepstral LLC by e-mail for further
support, including a transcript of the installation script's output, if
possible.
4marcus

Postby crazycajun » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:12 pm

4marcus; Have you heard anything from your support ticket? I would love to know, I have still had zero success. Would love to hear from someone who has gotten it to work with a raspberry pi 3

Would be nice if Cepstral would do an example!

CrazyCajun
crazycajun

Postby 4marcus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:53 am

Hi

I got a nice reply from customer support: the voices downloadable for testing are 386 architecture, so they won't run on ARM on the Pi. There is a English voice for ARM available from customer support, which I have not tried: the voice is English only for now, but I need multiple languages. So I have not installed the voice up to now and cannot confirm that it actually runs..

Marcus
4marcus

Postby Gwyneth Llewelyn » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:01 pm

I tried this out today, on both a Raspberry Pi Zero W 2 (quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53) and my Synology NAS (quad-core Realtek RTD1296).

None of them worked, following exactly the same instructions on either ARM device, as well as using the default place for installation; in both cases, the error is
/usr/local/bin/swift: line 12: /opt/swift/bin/swift.bin: No such file or directory

Note that /usr/local/bin/swift is nothing more than a symbolic link to the script /opt/swift/bin/swift, which, in turn, sets some crucial environment variables and launches /opt/swift/bin/swift.bin, which is the actual binary. It identifies correctly as an ARM binary:
/opt/swift/bin/swift.bin: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.26, BuildID[sha1]=cafd7c6a69acff7788af4a19e70e6d811ee5c9c6, with debug_info, not stripped

BUT... that's a 32bit binary, and both my devices are ARM64!!

Fortunately, it's easy to see if your ARM device is able to run executables compiled for 32bits. Under Debian Linux — which should be the case if you use Raspbian or Raspberry Pi OS (its new name) — you can use the small utility arch-test to figure out which architectures your ARM CPU is able to run:
$ sudo apt install arch-test
$ arch-test
arm64
armel
armhf

If armhf is on the list, you're with luck; that's the 32bit architecture actually used by the swift binary.

Debian already includes the required cross-compilation tools & libraries for armhf — everything you need is simply installed with these two packages:
$ sudo apt install libc6-armhf-cross
$ sudo apt install libstdc++6-armhf-cross

Now edit /opt/swift/bin/swift and replace the line containing LD_LIBRARY_PATH with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib:/opt/swift/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

This should allow the swift binary to find most dynamic libraries it needs.

Unfortunately, not all of them; if you look closely at the output of the file command above, you'll see that the interpreter is loaded with an absolute path, /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3. This library is obviously not there in a 64bit ARM system, so the easiest fix is just to add a symbolic link to the correct place:
$ sudo ln -s /usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3

Now you can add the same LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the license server's own script in /opt/swift/bin/cepstral-licsrv.

That's it! It certainly works... and compared to the Intel CPU of my Mac, it produces far smaller WAV files... although I'd love to get a 64bit version for ARM, of course!

P.S. Unfortunately, replicating the same result on the Synology NAS is not so easy, since it uses its own proprietary Linux distro. It's heavily inspired by Debian, sure, but it's not Debian, and doesn't use any package manager whatsoever. You can compile things on the Pi and install them on the NAS, or cross-compile them (if you have the sources!), but that's pretty much it. I'd need a very good incentive to have all that trouble :)
Gwyneth Llewelyn

Return to Installation