Any Planned support for FreeBSD?

Voices won't install properly on your system?

Any Planned support for FreeBSD?

Postby ClubPetey » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:10 pm

There was a 2-yr old post on this, but I thought I'd see if any progress has been made. My hosting provider supports only FreeBSD 7.1

Is there anything available for us BSD users?

-pete
ClubPetey

Re: Any Planned support for FreeBSD?

Postby argv » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:06 am

ClubPetey wrote:There was a 2-yr old post on this, but I thought I'd see if any progress has been made. My hosting provider supports only FreeBSD 7.1

Is there anything available for us BSD users?

-pete

I second this inquiry.

I also would like to suggest the possibility of using a Live BSD CD to do the cross compile. Alternatively, please consider that with curently available free tools it's very easy to shrink Windows partitions and create a small partition for BSD and install it on a Windows machine. I'm running FreeBSD off a 5GB partition on a "Vista machine" as I write this, and it could easily be samller.

Like Linux (e.g. the Gentoo based SystemRescueCD, which has a full GCC compiler and toolchain and the GUI partitioning/shrinking tool "GParted") BSD can be run entirely from RAM, and even without a SWAP file/partition. That is, unlike with a Windows install, there's no need to "make a mess" on your machine.

In short, a dedicated "BSD machine" may not be necessary to do the cross-compile. :)
argv

Return to Installation